Ingredients for 4 Servings
Shiro kon-nyaku (白こんにゃく / Shiro kon-nyaku) 1 slab
Yakidōfu (焼き豆腐 / Yakidōfu) 1
Sauce (たれ / Tareh)
Miso (味噌 / Miso) 2 tbsp
Sugar (砂糖 / Satōh) 1 tbsp
Hon mirin (本みりん / Hon mirin) 2 tbsp
Water (水 / Mizu) 50 ml
Ginger juice (しょうが汁/ Shōgajiru) 1 tsp
Bamboo skewers (竹串 / Take-gushi) 36
2. Slice the kon-nyaku into 24 thin pieces. Thread a bamboo skewer into and out of each piece of kon-nyaku, so that the kon-nyaku forms an “S” shape.
3. Bring a pot of water to a boil and dip the kon-nyaku skewers into it for about 10 seconds.
4. Cut the tofu into 12 cubes.
5. Brown the cubes in a frying pan.
6. Add the sauce ingredients to a pot. Bring the pot to a boil and turn the heat off. Transfer the sauce to a bowl.
7. Fill a different pot partway with water and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat off and place the pot on the table where you will eat. Carefully place the bowl with the sauce in the middle of the pot with the hot water. You may need to remove some of the hot water to keep it from overflowing or getting into the sauce bowl. Place the kon-nyaku skewers around the sauce bowl, with the kon-nyaku end down, in the hot water.
8. Stick one skewer into each piece of tōfu and serve the tōfu skewers in a separate bowl.
9. Dress each kon-nyaku and tōfu skewer with the sauce right before eating.
Recipe Developed by: Machiko Tateno