Ingredients for 4 Servings
Refined rice flour (白玉粉 / Shiratamako) 80 g
Water (水 / Mizu) 80 ml
Ground white sesame (白すりごま / Shiro suri goma) 5 tbsp
Sugar (砂糖 / Satōh) 2 tbsp
Salt (塩/ Shio) Pinch
How to Make
1. Fill a medium-size pot with water and begin heating it to bring it to a boil.
2. Place the rice flour into a mixing bowl. Add a small amount of warm water (separate from the water you’re heating in the pot) and mix it into the flour. Repeat until you get a dough that is about as soft as our earlobe.
3. Form the dough into 20 evenly sized balls. Use your thumb and forefinger to lightly mash each ball to form a depression on both sides. Place all of the balls of dough into the pot of boiling water.
4. The dough balls should rise to the surface. Once they do this, wait another 1-2 minutes and then remove them to a bowl of cold water. Drain off the water and arrange the shiratama dango on a plate or in bowls.
5. Mix the ground sesame, sugar, and salt together in a bowl. Sprinkle this onto the shiratama dangos.
Recipe Developed by Machiko Tateno