Ingredients for 4 Servings
Round steak (牛もも肉ブロック / Gyū momo-niku burokku) 400 g
Shiokōji (塩麹 / Shiokōji) 40 g
Black pepper (ブラックペッパー / Burakku peppāh) To taste (Coarsely ground)
Olive oil (オリーブオイル / Orīhbu oiru) To taste
How to Make
1. Marinate the beef in the shiokōji for at least one day. Keep it in a refrigerator during this time.
2. Remove the beef from the shiokōji. Make sure is mostly free of shiokōji and sprinkle it with coarsely ground black pepper. Add the olive oil to a frying pan and place the frying pan on high heat. When the frying pan is up to temperature, brown the beef.
3. Let the beef cool a bit and then place it into a Ziploc bag while it is still warm. Seal the bag most of the away, leaving enough space to insert a straw. Use a straw to draw out all of the air in the bag. Seal the bag.
4. Add 800 ml of boiling water to a rice cooker pot and then use 200 ml of cold water to adjust the temperature to about 70℃.
5. Place the Ziploc bag containing the beef into the rice cooker pot. Close the rice cooker and turn on the ”ho-on” (保温=warm) setting. Let the beef cook for 40 minutes.
6. Remove the Ziploc bag from the rice cooker and allow it to cool to room temperature. This should take about 1 hour.
7. Cut the beef to your desired thickness. Store by wrapping well in plastic wrap and placing the beef in the refrigerator.
Sanjō-zuke Roast Beef Sauce
Green chili peppers (青唐辛子 / Aotōgarashi) 90 g
Nama kōji (生麹 / Nama kōji) 1 cup
Soy sauce (醤油/ Shōyu) 1 cup
How to Make
Chop the green chili peppers into small pieces. The total amount should come to about 1 cup.
To a sealable container, add the chopped chili peppers, nama kōji, and soy sauce. Mix. Let the container sit at room temperature for 10 days. Agitate it from time to time. After 10 days, the sauce should be ready to use. It should last for about half a year in a refrigerator.
Recipe Developed by Machiko Tateno