Ingredients for 4 Servings
Horse mackerel (アジ / Aji) 2
Soy sauce (醤油 / Shōyu) 1 tbsp
Sake (酒 / Sake) 1 1/2 tbsp
Sugar (砂糖 / Satōh) 1/2 tbsp
Mirin (みりん / Mirin) 1/2 tbsp
Wheat flour (小麦粉 / Komugiko) Small amount or flouring
Salad oil (サラダ油 / Sarada yu) Small amount
Green onion (青ネギ / Aonegi) To taste (finely chopped)
Roasted sesame seeds (炒りごま / Irigoma) Pinch
Cooked rice (ご飯 / Gohan) 100 g (enough for 4 small rice bowls)
How to Make
1. Fillet the aji (sanmai oroshi style) and lightly salt the fillets. Set these aside for a few minutes. Finely chop the green onion and set aside.
2. Use a paper towel to dry the fillets then lightly flour both sides of each.
3. Add a small amount of oil to a frying pan and place the pan on medium heat. Place the fillets in the frying pan, skin side down.
4. Allow the fillets to cook until the skin is browned. In the meantime, create a sauce by mixing the soy sauce, sake, sugar, and mirin together in a small bowl.
5. Once the skin side is browned, flip the fillets. When the fillets are about 70% done, add the sauce to the frying pan and reduce to low heat. Coat the fillets with sauce. Flip them to ensure even coverage. Form beds of rice on four dishes.
6. When nearly all of the liquid has evaporated, turn off the heat and place one fillet on top of each bed of rice.
7. Garnish with roasted sesame seeds and chopped green onion.
Recipe Developed by Yukiko Yajima