【Ingredients】 5 kinds of temarizushi for 4 people
Cooked rice (ごはん / Gohan) （Freshly cooked and hot） 1kg
White sesame seeds (白胡麻 / Shiro goma) 2tbsp
Salt (塩/ Shio) 1 1/2tsp
Sugar (砂糖 / Satōh) 1 1/2tbsp
Vinegar (酢 / Su) 75ml
＜Shrimp and Egg Temarizushi＞
Shrimp with shells on (殻付きエビ/Karatsuki ebi) 4
Sake (酒 / Sake) 1tsp
Eggs (卵 / Tamago) 1
Salt (塩/ Shio) Pinch
Sugar (砂糖 / Satōh) 1/2tsp
Prosciutto (プロシュート/Puroshūto) 4 slices (30g)
Dried tomato (ドライトマト/Dorai tomahto) 1
Black pepper (Kurokoshō) Pinch (Coarsely ground)
＜Smoked Salmon Temarizushi＞
Smoked salmon (スモークサーモン/Sumōhku sāhmon)
Cream cheese (クリームチーズ / kurīmu chīzu) 16g
Mayonnaise (マヨネーズ / Mahyonēhzu) As needed
(In a tube with a small mouth)
Capers (ケイパー/Keipāh) 4
Mushrooms (マッシュルーム/Masshurūhmu) (With caps about 4cm in diameter)
Garlic (にんにく / Ninniku) 1/2 clove (minced)
Olive oil (オリーブオイル / Orību oiru) 1tsp
Salt (塩/ Shio) Pinch
Italian parsley (イタリアンパセリ/ Itarian paseri) To taste
Red bell pepper (赤パプリカ / Aka papurika ) 1/2
Wasabi (わさび/ Wasabi)To taste
【Prepare Ahead of Time】
1： Mix the amazu ingredients together in a small bowl.
2： Place the shrimp into a medium-size bowl and add just enough sake to cover them.
【How to Make】
1. Mix the sushi vinegar ingredients together in a bowl. Transfer the cooked rice to a large mixing bowl. Add the sushi vinegar to the rice, making sure to distribute it evenly. Doing this by pouring the sushi vinegar onto a shamoji (paddle-like utensil) or something similar will help to broaden the flow as you work to cover the entire surface of the rice. Now, hold the shamoji at an angle and use a cutting motion to mix the rice, without mashing it. Mix until the rice begins to shine. As you mix, use a hand-held fan to cool the rice. Next, add the sesame seeds and mix these into the rice, again with a cutting motion. Transfer the rice to a large metal tray. Divide the rice into 20 equal portions. Enclose each portion of rice in a piece of plastic wrap and form the rice into a ball.
2. Make the shrimp and egg temarizushi. Begin by deveining the shrimp. Boil water in a small pot, add the sake, and then place the deveined shrimp into the boiling water for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and let the shrimp cool in the pot. Once the pot has cooled, remove the shrimp, peel off the shells, and then split each shrimp.
3. Crack the egg into a small pot, add the sugar and salt, and then beat the egg. Place the pot on medium heat and stir the egg until it cooks into a crumbly texture. Transfer the egg to a bowl and let it cool. Divide the cooked egg into 4 equal portions.
4. Make the shrimp and egg temarizushi. Take four of the rice balls you formed earlier, unwrap them, and spread the wrap out for reuse. Place a shrimp half in the middle of the wrap with the cut surface up. Place a half of one portion of egg on top of the shrimp, and then place the ball of rice on top of the egg. Bring the edges of the wrap together to enclose everything and form the contents into a ball. Now, unwrap the ball and top it with the remaining egg.
5. Make the prosciutto temarizushi. Start by mincing the dried tomato. Now take four of the rice balls, unwrap them, and spread out the wrap. Place a portion of prosciutto in the middle of the wrap and then place the rice ball on top of the prosciutto. Bring the edges of the wrap together to enclose everything and form the contents into a ball. Now, unwrap the ball, place a bit of dried tomato on top of the prosciutto and sprinkle with black pepper.
6. Make the smoked salmon temarizushi. Divide the cream cheese into 4 equal portions. Take four of the rice balls, unwrap them, and spread out the wrap. Place a portion of smoked salmon in the center of the wrap, add a portion of cream cheese, and place a rice ball on top. Bring the edges of the wrap together to enclose everything and form the contents into a ball. Now, unwrap the ball, and garnish the salmon with a small amount of mayonnaise and a caper on top.
7. Make the mushroom temarizushi. Start by adding the olive oil to a frying pan and placing the pan on medium heat. Add the garlic. When you notice the aroma of the frying garlic, add the mushrooms. Fry the mushrooms until they soften, then add the salt.
8. Take four of the rice balls, unwrap them, and spread out the wrap. Place a portion of mushroom on top of the rice ball, enclose the whole thing in wrap once again and correct the shape of the ball. Remove the wrap and place a bit of Italian parsley on top of the mushroom.
9. Make the paprika temarizushi. Roast the bell pepper on an open flame until the outside is thoroughly blackened. Place the pepper into a paper back and let it cool completely. Remove the bell pepper from the bag, peel it, and then cut it into pieces roughly 5cm by 3cm.
10. Unwrap the last 4 rice balls and spread out the wrap. Place a portion of bell pepper in the center of the wrap, place the rice ball on top of the bell pepper, and then bring the edges of the wrap together to form the contents into a ball. Now, unwrap the ball put a dab of wasabi on top of the bell pepper.
11. Arrange one of each kind of temarizushi on 4 plates. Serve together with soy sauce for dipping.
Recipe Developed by: Machiko Tateno
Leave a Reply