Ingredients for 4 Servings
Lamb chops (ラムチョップ / Rahmu choppu) 400 g (with bone)
Salt (塩/ Shio) 1/2 tsp (for the lamb chops)
Black pepper (ブラックペッパー / Burakku peppāh) Pinch (for the lamb chops)
Garlic (にんにく / Ninniku) 2 cloves
Onions (玉ねぎ / Tamanegi) 1 (about 100 g)
Carrots (にんじん / Ninjin) 1 (about 200 g)
Potatoes (じゃがいも / Jagaimo) 500 g (smallish size)
Broccoli (ブロッコリー / burok-korīh) 100 g
Olive oil (オリーブオイル / Orīhbu oiru) 1 tbsp
Red wine (赤ワイン / Aka wainu) 4 tbsp
Water (水 / Mizu) 800 ml
Konbu (昆布 / Konbu) 10 cm (1 10-cm long piece)
Bay leaves (ローリエ / Rōrieh) 2
Miso (味噌 / Miso) 60 g
Honey (蜂蜜 / Hachimitsu) 30 g
Salt (塩/ Shio) Pinch
Black pepper (ブラックペッパー / Burakku peppāh) Pinch
How to Make
1. Soak the konbu in 800 ml of water for about 30 minutes to make a water broth. Salt and pepper the lamb chops.
2. Split the garlic cloves and remove the sprout inside. Slice the onion along the grain in about 5mm widths. Skin the carrot and cut it into rounds about 1 cm wide. Skin the potatoes, rinse them in water, and set them aside. Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces. Boil the broccoli to your desired level of softness.
3. Add the olive oil and garlic to a pot and place the pot on low heat. When you begin to notice the aroma of the garlic, go to medium heat, add the lamb chops and brown on both sides. Now, add the onions and cook them for 2-3 minutes, stirring them around to give them an even coating of oil. Do the same with the carrots, and then the potatoes. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen all the burnt-on material.
4. Add the konbu and water broth. Bring the pot to a boil and then remove the konbu. Add the bay leaves, cover the pot, and reduce to low heat for 15 minutes. Once the potatoes have softened, add the miso and honey, and simmer for about five minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with broccoli on the side.