Ingredients for 4 servings
Ground chicken thigh (鶏もも挽肉/ Tori momo hikiniku) 400 g
Green onion (長ネギ / Naga-negi) 1
Green shiso (大葉 / Ōba) 4 leaves
Ginger (しょうが / Shōga) 1 tsp (grated)
Katakuri flour (片栗粉 / Katakuriko) 1 tbsp
Salt (塩/ Shio) 1/2 tsp
Eggplants (茄子 / Nasu) 2
Green peppers (しし唐 / Shishitō) 8
Soy sauce (醤油 / Shōyu) 3 tbsp
Hon mirin (本みりん / Hon mirin) 3 tbsp
Cane sugar (きび砂糖 / Kibizatōh) 2 tsp
Water (水 / Mizu) 1 tbsp
Oil for Frying
Sesame oil (ごま油 / Goma-abura) 3 tbsp
Eggs (卵 / Tamago) 4
How to Make
1. Add 1 liter of water to a pot and bring it to a boil. Once the water has achieved a full boil, turn off the heat and carefully place the eggs into the water. Leave the eggs in the water for 13 minutes then remove them.
2. Mince the green onion. Cut the green shiso into bits about 5 ㎜ square. Cut the eggplant into diagonal rounds about 1 1/2 cm thick. Rinse these in a bowl of water and drain. Cut slits into the green peppers; do not cut all the way through the peppers.
3. Add the ground chicken, green onion, green shiso, ginger, katakuri flour, and salt to a mixing bowl and mix until you get a pasty consistency. Divide into 12 equal portions and form these into ovals patties that are 1 1/2 to 2 cm thick. Add the sauce ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
4. Add 2 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil to a frying pan and place the pan on medium heat. Brown the eggplant rounds on both sides and then remove them from the pan. Fry the green peppers in the same pan and then remove them from the pan.
5. Add 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil to the same frying pan. Brown the chicken patties on both sides. If you find too much fat accumulating in the pan, use a paper towel to sop it up. Now add the eggplant rounds, green peppers, and sauce. Stir the contents of the pan to thicken the sauce and ensure it evenly coats everything in the pan.
6. Place the chicken tsukune on a serving dish, and garnish with the eggplant and green peppers. Place the soft-boiled eggs on a separate dish.
Recipe Developed by Machiko Tateno
Leave a Reply