Ingredients for 4 Servings
Kimchee (キムチ / Kimuchee) 500 g
Sliced pork shoulder (豚肩スライス肉 / Buta kata suraisu niku) 400 g
Onion (玉ねぎ / Tamanegi) 1
Firm tōfu (木綿豆腐 / Momendōfu) 1/2 block
Enoki mushrooms (えのき / Enoki) 1/2 large pack
Green onion (長ネギ / Naga-negi) 1
Water (水 / Mizu) 800 ml
Konbu (昆布 / Konbu) 1 piece (5 cm square)
Dried sardines (煮干し / Niboshi) 3 (heads and organs removed)
Kimchee juice (キムチの汁 / Kimuchee-no-shiru) 150 ml
Hon mirin (本みりん / Hon mirin) 2 tbsp
Soy sauce (醤油 / Shōyu) 1 tbsp
Salt (塩/ Shio) 1/2 tsp
Sesame oil (ごま油 / Goma-abura) 1 tbsp
Powdered red pepper (粉唐辛子 / Kona tōgarashi) To taste
How to Make
1. Soak the konbu and dried sardines in 800 ml of water for at least 1 hour.
2. Cut the kimchee and pork into easy-to-eat pieces. Split the onion, cutting parallel to the fibers, then cut each half into 1-cm widths, also parallel to the fibers. Add the kimchee, pork, and onion to a plastic bag. Massage the bag to mix everything well and then set the bag aside for about 10 minutes.
3. Cut the tōfu into 8 equally sized pieces. Cut off the hard bottom part of the enoki stems, then separate the bunch into individual strands. Cut the green onion into easy-to-eat diagonals.
4. Add sesame oil to a medium-to-large size pot and place the pot on medium heat. Add the kimchee, pork, and onion mixture and begin cooking. Next, add the water containing the konbu and sardines. When the pot comes to a boil, remove the konbu and sardines.
5. Add the kimchee juice, mirin, soy sauce, and salt and continue to heat. When the pot comes to a boil again, add the tōfu. Let the tōfu simmer for 10 minutes, then add the green onion and let the pot simmer just long enough for the green onion to soften. Turn off the heat.
6. Finally, add powdered red pepper to whatever degree of spiciness you prefer.