Ingredients for 4 servings
Chicken thighs (鶏もも肉 / Tori-no-momoniku) 2
Miso (味噌 / Miso) 4 tbsp
Sugar (砂糖 / Satōh) 2 tbsp
Sake (酒 / Sake) 1 tbsp
Potatoes (じゃがいも / Jagaimo) 2
Water (水 / Mizu) 3 tbsp
Sesame oil (ごま油 / Goma-abura) 1 tsp
How to Make
1. Cut the chicken thighs in half and remove excess fat. Make cuts into the thickest portions to help the meat cook evenly.
2. Add the miso, sugar, and sake to a resealable plastic bag and mix well. Now add the chicken and massage the bag a bit to ensure that the meat is evenly coated with sauce. Place the plastic bag into a refrigerator overnight.
3. Skin the potatoes and then cut them into 1-cm rounds or half rounds. Rinse these in water and drain them well.
4. Add 1 tsp of sesame oil to a frying pan and put the pan on medium heat. When the pan is up to heat, remove the excess miso from the chicken and begin cooking the chicken, skin side down. Once the skin browns, turn the chicken pieces over to cook the other side.
5. Move the chicken to the edge of the frying pan and add the potatoes to the middle of the pan. Now place the chicken, skin side up, on top of the potatoes. Add 3 tbsp of water evenly to the pan and cover. Reduce to low heat, continue cooking for 7~8 minutes, then turn off the heat.
6. Cut the chicken into easy-to-eat pieces. Arrange these on a serving dish, together with the potatoes.