Ingredients for 4 Servings
Chicken thighs (鶏もも肉 / Tori-no-momoniku) 2 (about 250 g per thigh)
Soy sauce (しょうゆ / Shōyu) 2 tbsp
Salt (塩/ Shio) 1/4 tsp
Sake (酒 / Sake) 3 tbsp
Ginger (しょうが / Shōga) 2 tsp
Garlic (にんにく / Ninniku) 1 tsp
Soft flour (薄力粉 / Hakurikiko) 2 tbsp
Rice flour (米粉/ Komeko) 2 tbsp
Oil for frying (揚げ油 / Ageh abura) Enough to fill a frying pan to a depth of 3 cm
Lemon wedges (カットレモン / Katto remon) 4
How to Make
1. Remove excess fat from the chicken thighs. Cut each into about 10 bite-size pieces. Grate the ginger and garlic.
2. Place the chicken into a plastic bag, and add the soy sauce, salt, sake, ginger, and garlic. Massage the bag to mix the contents well. Close the bag and set it aside for 30 minutes.
3. Drain the contents of the bag into a strainer to remove excess water. Dab the chicken with a paper towel to remove more water.
4. Add the soft flour and rice flour to a mixing bowl, and mix. Add the chicken to the mixing bowl and evenly coat all of the pieces with the flour.
5. Fill a frying pan with oil to a depth of about 3 cm. Place the chicken pieces in the pan, skin side down. Leave a little space between all of the pieces. Place the pan on low heat for 10 minutes. During this time, do not move the chicken pieces. After 10 minutes has passed, flip all of the chicken pieces. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan when they are evenly browned.
6. Transfer the serving plates with lemon wedges on the side.
Recipe Developed by Chef Machiko Tateno