Ingredients for 4 Servings (You will need 4 serving boxes 12 cm x 12 cm x 4 cm)
Vinegar (酢/ Su) 3 tbsp
Sugar (砂糖 / Satōh) 1 1/2 tbsp
Salt (塩/ Shio) 1 1/2 tsp
Cooked rice (ごはん / Gohan) 800 g
White sesame seeds (白胡麻 / Shiro goma) 1 tbsp
Nori (海苔 / Nori) 1 sheet (1/4 per person)
Eggs (卵 / Tamago) 2
Sugar (砂糖 / Satōh) 2 tsp
Salt (塩/ Shio) 1/4 tsp
Water (水 / Mizu) 1 tbsp
Vegetable oil (植物油 / Shokubutsu-yu) As needed
Red cabbage (紫キャベツ / Murasaki kyabetsu) 70 ｇ
Vinegar (酢/ Su) 1 tsp
Olive oil (オリーブオイル / Orīhbu oiru) 1/2 tsp
Salt (塩/ Shio) 1/4 tsp
Black olives (ブラックオリーブ / Burakku orīhbu) 2
Cucumber and Tobiko
Cucumber (きゅうり / Kyūri) 1
Flying fish roe (とびこ/ Tobiko) 2 tsp
Smoked salmon (スモークサーモン / Sumōku sāhmon) 80 g
Mayonnaise (マヨネーズ / Mahyonēhzu) Pinch
Capers (ケッパー / keppāh) 12
How to Make
This recipe assumes that rice has already been cooked and is hot and ready to be used.
1. Combine the sushi vinegar ingredients in a bowl and mix.
2. Add the sushi vinegar to the cooked rice and mix with a cutting motion. Once the sushi vinegar is mixed into the rice well, add the sesame seeds and mix these in.
3. Line the serving boxes with plastic wrap. Use enough wrap to drape it over the sides of the boxes. Fill the boxes halfway full with sushi rice and level off the surface of the rice in each box. Cut the sheet of nori into four equally sized squares and place one square on top of the rice in each box. Fill the boxes full with the remainder of the sushi rice, and again level off the surfaces.
4. Grab opposite edges of the wrap and carefully remove the rice from the serving boxes. Cut the rice into nine equally sized squares. Do not separate the squares from each other. Wipe your knife with a damp towel before each cut. Grab the edges of the wrap and return the sushi rice to the boxes.
5. Prepare the tamago soboro. To a mixing bowl, add the eggs, water, sugar, and salt, and mix well. Add a bit of vegetable oil to a frying pan and place the pan on medium heat. Once the pan is up the heat, pour in the egg mixture. Stir the eggs as they cook to create a crumbly texture. Remove the cooked egg from the pan and set it aside.
6. Julienne the cabbage. Add the cabbage, vinegar, salt, and olive oil to a plastic bag. Massage the bag to mix the ingredients and then set the bag aside for 1 hour. After an hour, remove the cabbage from the bag and squeeze out the excess water. Set the cabbage aside. Cut the black olives into rings and then set them aside.
7. Slice the cucumber into lengths equal to the width of one of the 9 rice squares. Place the slices into a bowl and lightly salt them. Set them aside.
8. Cut the smoked salmon in the same way you cut the cucumber, so that you have lengths equal to the width of one square of sushi rice.
9. Top each square with one of the ingredients you have prepared – the tamago soboro, cabbage and black olives, smoked salmon (Put a little dollop of mayonnaise and a caper on top of the salmon.); and cucumber slices (Place a bit of flying fish roe on top of the cucumber slices.) The point is to use these ingredients to create a mosaic of shapes and colors on top of the sushi rice. When you finish, your mosaic sushi is ready to serve.